I celebrated Christmas at my post this year. I had my own little Christmas tree, Charlie Brown style, which the neighborhood kids were enthralled by- they had never seen one before. I baked cookies, read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" in French, and had a small Christmas party at my house complete with carols and chocolate cake.
I also visited friends in village, and discovered that dancing is a huge part of Christmas celebrations here. The villagers were dancing all day! Every village I passed by had drums pounding and a group of people dancing away (fueled by bilbil, no doubt). The biggest group I saw must have been several hundred people, old and young, their stomping feet stirring up so much dust they were dancing in a fog. The drums continued late into the night. Wonderful way to express the pure joy of Christmas. My last Christmas in Cameroon...
reading "Twas the Night"
two little elves
No comments:
Post a Comment